- Domestic battery (actual physical abuse)
- Domestic assault (the use of words or actions to threaten physical abuse)
Who Can File Domestic Violence ChargesCalifornia law is written in such a way that only a limited number of people can file domestic violence charges. At this point, domestic violence charges can only be filed by:
- Registered domestic partners
- Live-in significant others (also considered a cohabitant)
- Someone who shares a child with the accused
- Someone who has been in a steady romantic relationship with the accused.